Home / Advice

Who to Inform

  • Relatives and friends
  • Employers / School
  • Solicitor / Accountant
  • National Insurance Contributions Office if they were self - employed (to cancel payments)
  • Landlord or Local Authority if the deceased rented their property
  • Local Authority if the deceased paid Council Tax, was issued with disabled parking badge
  • Any private organisation/agency providing home help
  • General insurance companies - house contents, car, travel, medical etc
  • Bank / Building Society
  • Mortgage provider
  • Hire purchase or loan companies
  • Credit card providers/Store cards
  • Utility companies, if accounts were in the deceased’s name
  • TV / Internet companies with which the deceased had subscriptions
  • Royal Mail, if mail needs re-directing
  • UK Passport Agency, to return and cancel a passport
  • Social groups to which the deceased belonged
  • Dentist
  • Creditors - anyone to whom the deceased owed money
  • Debtors - anyone who owed the deceased money


  • Order book / benefits
  • Registration documents for the deceased’s car (if necessary)
  • Season ticket and membership cards of any clubs or associations, as a refund may be due
  • Benefit/pension books and any unused cheques / vouchers should be returned to the benefit’s office
  • Driving License